Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Continuous Assessment Program (CAP)
CAP Definition & Purpose
Why is the ABAI developing this new program?
• To be more closely aligned with the rapidly changing environment of physician practice.
• To leverage advances in technology to assess medical knowledge and clinical judgment through a more flexible, continuous, and dynamic model that also incorporates learning into the assessment process.
CAP Eligibility Information
Who is eligible?
• If you have a valid time-limited certificate, currently enrolled in MOC, you are eligible to participate.
• If you have a valid time-unlimited certificate, currently enrolled in MOC, you are eligible to participate.
• If you have a valid time-unlimited certificate, NOT enrolled in MOC, but would like to participate CAP, you are eligible to participate and your time unlimited certificate will not be at risk by participating in CAP. However, once enrolled in the MOC program, you must adhere to all MOC requirements.
CAP Participation Requirements
What if I prefer to take a proctored exam at a secure testing center instead of enrolling in the CAP?
• Taking a proctored MOC secure exam is not an option.
How do I know if I pass?
Your score will be updated in real-time to help you track your progress throughout the year. Your final pass/fail determination will be based on your final score at the end of the 5 year cycle. This information will be available in the CAP section of your portal page.
CAP Program Rules, Question Delivery & Requirements
How much time is allotted for each individual question?
You will have 10 minutes to answer each question.
Use of Resources/Books
Am I allowed to use resources when answering CAP questions?
• Resources (e.g., books, internet) may be used, as long as the question is answered during the allocated time of 10 minutes, without seeking assistance from other individuals.
• You will be asked to review and sign the CAP Participant Agreement, which explicitly states what resources can and cannot be used.
What ADA accommodations will CAP offer?
• CAP will offer extended time as an accommodation for those who qualify. Diplomates may visit the ABAI website to request an accommodation.
• The CAP platform does not prohibit or block the use of third-party applications such as text zoom or text-to-voice.
Continuous Assessment Program Guidelines
How many article-based questions must I answer?
Diplomates must select ten articles and answer three questions from each article.
CAP due dates and times
When does CAP start and end?
CAP is designed to be a continuous program. The first 5 month block is accessible from February 15th through July 15th and the second 5 month block is accessible from August 15th through January 15th.
CAP Progress Meter
Does the progress meter include scores from the current block?
No, once the block is closed and key validation and statistical analysis has been completed, the final scores of the current block will be added.